The best electric toothbrush for braces is very well featured to clean the mouth properly. Teeth with braces mean a different scenario for oral care. So different types of toothbrush or extra featured toothbrush will get the priority here.
What are the braces for teeth?
The brace is a solution for some dental difficulties. They are like devices or gadgets that can solve those issues at the primary level. But if things get worse then braces will not be an effective solution. Then surgery will be the only solution. Braces are available at various types such as traditional metal wired braces, gold-plated stainless steel braces, titanium braces, lingual braces, high-tech software operated braces, etc.
Why braces are used?
Braces are used due to the following reasons:
- To align or straighten crooked teeth
- Various bites like underbites, crossbites, open bites, overbites, deep bites, etc can be overcome.
- Malocclusions or bad bite can also be corrected.
- Braces are helpful to fill the gaps between teeth as well.
- They are also capable of shaping your teeth and jaw.
Advantages of using braces:
There are several dental problems where braces can be an effective solution. Like:
- Gum diseases can be prevented.
- With braces, tooth removal problems can be avoided.
- It also helps to prevent your cavity problem
Digestion: Generally braces are used to align your teeth. Again with braces, you have to chew your food at little particles. These tiny food particles help you to digest your food at a great level.
Dental injury: Due to accident or injury if your mouth or teeth get harmed then braces can get the shape back and give you a fit mouth.
Jawbone erosion: Due to bacterial growth inside your teeth jawbone gets damaged and eaten by those bacteria. Jawbone erosion can be prevented if you wear braces. Because then you can get straight teeth.
The solution to bad bite: If your tooth is not well-shaped or not in a proper align then biting will be problematic. With braces, this problem can be easily solved.
Confidence: Braces can give a proper shape to our teeth. This will help to shape the mouth also. Your mouth elements like jaws, teeth, lips all will be in an absolute position. So you can get a sweet smile, a well-shaped face. All these will work as a boost to your self-confidence.
Speech improvement: Because of the misalignment of your teeth you can face speech problems or oral sound problems like whistles sound during the speech. All these can be perfectly alright if you use braces and align your teeth.
Disadvantages of braces:
The disadvantages of braces are as follows:
Oral pain: Wearing braces is a painful treatment undoubtedly.
Lengthy process: Once you start braces you can’t remove it for two years at least. Wearing extra material in your teeth for such a long time is a burden.
Cost: Braces come of different types. These are greatly made of metals like titanium, gold plate, stainless steel, etc. All these metals are highly expensive. So this brace treatment is costly.
Oral diseases: Due to braces, food gets stuck inside the teeth. So several bacteria grow up and create acids. This is very harmful to oral health. As a result, various types of diseases occur. Like:
- Demineralization: Due to food stuck in your teeth, the bacterial attack takes place and leads to demineralization. Then white scars are seen on your teeth. The result is the cavity. This can be avoided by brushing after each time you eat something.
- Gingivitis: It occurs due to inflammation and leads to gum disease, bleeding, gum receding, etc. If the gets get affected with it then bracing time will be increased than the normal duration. Regular flossing and frequent brushing is a solution to this problem. The best electric toothbrush for receding gums can be used to avoid this problem. This brush will help to clean the braces with the gum line.
- Sensitivity: Since setting braces will give a new environment inside your mouth, so it is very obvious to feel sensitivity. But this sensitivity can lead to receding gum problem. Again you will feel pain with hot or cold food and also with cold air.
- Plaque: The food remains in the brace wires can cause plaque. This results in gum infection, teeth removal, bad breath, etc.
- Bad breath: If you don’t brush regularly or do not maintain oral hygiene then bacteria grow inside your mouth. This causes the stink. As a result, your breath smells bad. This also happens because of smoking or some sort of food.
When braces are used?
Braces can be used at any age. There is no age limit. But the problems which are recovered through braces can be best treated at an early age, especially at teen ages. Because at this age the gums and head are in a growing stage.
How to choose the best electric toothbrush for braces?
For teeth with braces, extra care should be provided. It’s a must for the best electric toothbrush for braces to clean the gaps between teeth and remove all dirt, food particles, etc. Because if you are wearing braces things will be stuck in your teeth or in the brace wire. If you do not clean your teeth along with your braces, plaque remains between teeth gaps. Then along with your teeth, braces will also be destroyed. The cheap electric toothbrush is not so well featured for proper dental care with braces. So the best electric toothbrush for braces should have the following properties to clean your teeth, remove plaque and keep your mouth germ free.
Brush head: To clean all gaps between teeth or wire, the toothbrush needs to bend its head at 45-degree angle at least. The brush head should be designed in such a way that it can be able to bring out all dirt from the brace wire or teeth gap. Instead of the cheap electric toothbrush, some best quality electric toothbrush should be used for teeth with braces. These types of toothbrushes should have multiple head feature. So that you can get several types of brushing facilities in one electric toothbrush. You can use soft bristle head regularly and hard bristle head in every 2 or 3 days for cleaning the braces or teeth gaps or the gums properly.
Bristles: The bristles of this type of toothbrushes should be strong. So that it can clean every corner including the metal braces properly. Again if the bristles are arranged in an angular direction then it will be more effective to clean the germs, foods from remote areas inside the mouth.
Rotating capability: For swiping away germs, food particles from distant corners and from brace wires, some extra capacity will be needed. A manual or cheap electric toothbrush can’t reach there. The best electric toothbrush for braces should have the rotating capability. Various motion can be included in the toothbrush for cleaning properly. Like Rotating, oscillating, anti-rotating, rotating-oscillating, etc.
Number of modes: For your braces, several brushing modes must have to available in the toothbrush. Like:
- Daily clean mode: It requires a fixed two minutes duration. Daily based mode clean your teeth with vibration. So plaque removal is far better than a normal brushing mode.
- Deep clean mode: Every 2 or 3 days you can use this mode of cleaning to clean out the braces, remove plaque or other food wastes that stuck in your teeth. It requires some extra time more than the two-minute duration. But this mode should not be attempted regularly. Otherwise, the braces can be harmed.
- Sensitive mode: If your teeth or enamels are sensitive then you should go for this mode where vibration frequency is less than the daily clean mode. The two minute times is also applicable here.
- Massage mode: Here the gums, braces, teeth are cleaned with less pressure. It is helpful to prevent gingivitis.
Pressure Sensor: Pressure sensor is a must in an electric toothbrush. Because too much pressure is very harmful to teeth and gums both. Too much pressure can cause receding gum problem too. In the case of braces pressure is also a very sensitive issue. So the best electric toothbrush for receding gums can be used for teeth with braces also. With hard brushing, the braces can get damaged.
Timer: Excess of anything is always harmful. The timer is really important while brushing especially when you have braces. Over-brushing your teeth can cause several dental problems. Again the different brushing mode needs different time duration to clean your mouth perfectly. The auto timer with an alarm or signal facility can be very helpful indeed.
Toothbrushes with ultra-high-tech featured would not always be the best choice. The best affordable electric toothbrush which has the above-mentioned features can be the perfect choice for oral care of teeth with braces. So we need to think properly before doing the expense.
Should I use an electric toothbrush for braces?
A manual toothbrush will give you an ok treatment whereas an electric toothbrush is capable of providing the best oral hygiene. So electric toothbrushes with proper features will be given priority while choosing a toothbrush for teeth with braces. One can use an electric toothbrush for braces without any doubt or confusion.
People who are incapable of maintaining oral health or for the kid, an electric toothbrush is the best. Because it can control the proper pressure, the perfect brushing time along with perfect cleaning of germs and other unwanted particles. Teeth with metal braces largely require electric toothbrush. Because the features of an electric toothbrush are suitable for cleaning the braces. With a manual toothbrush, it wouldn’t be possible to clean your teeth with the braces so nicely.
Hi… This Is Jennifer J. Powell, Dental Specialist